- 1 large can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 pound of ground turkey or ground beef
- 1 spaghetti squash
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds and guts.
3. Drizzle spaghetti squash halves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Place spaghetti squash cut side down and cook for 35-40 minutes.
5. In a large sauce pan add tomatoes (with juice), olive oil, spices, garlic cloves (whole), mushrooms, and diced onion.
6. Simmer on medium high for 30 minutes.
7. Then blend with an immersion blender or a standard blender.
8. Brown meat of choice and stir into sauce.
9. Remove spaghetti squash from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes, top with meat sauce, then serve!
Recipe submitted by Katie Seaton, Carpe Diem Nutrition Intern